THE FUSELAGE
 
 
The fuselage had a couple of problems as I already explained. The windows were in the wrong place and the rudder and elevators to big and the wrong shape. So I had to fix that.
 
First I had to close the wrong windows. I did this by cutting strips of glass cloth and epoxying them inside the fuselage over the windows and putting cut out squares of glass-cloth the size of the windows on the outside. This both closed the gap and strengthened the fuse. When it dried out  after about 24 hours I filled the old windows with epoxy putty and sanded them to a smooth finish.
 
Glass-cloth epoxied on the inside.
 
Square of glass-cloth on the outside
 
 
Windows filled and sanded and new windows pencilled in.
The same was done to the cockpit windows.
epoxied
filled and sanded
windows cut out
 
fuselage windows also cut out
 
As you can see by all the lines on the fuselage, I started to draw in all the panels and rivet-lines. This was a hell of a job because of the curvature of the fuse. Getting a line straight across the circumference was a science. First I thought I would get away with my "carpenters eye" but that proved to be a miscalculation. Then I tried using masking tape and measuring the distance between them and again it didn't work out properly. There were places that came out terribly wrong, especially at the tail and the windows.
One of the mistakes I made was cutting out the windows before drawing the panel lines. Had I done that the other way around life would have been a lot easier. But I did invent a couple of new words in the process. Sorry, I won't repeat them here!!!
Than the light hit me. I thumbed through a DIY folder and my eye fell on a Black&Decker laser gizmo. Ideal for hanging your paintings straight on the wall, etc. etc.
 
I bought one for € 25,- or about $ 30,- and figured out a way to use that. In my hallway I put up a 2 by 2 between the ceiling and the floor. I put the fuse (the cockpit was already cut of) on a piece of wood with 4 castor wheels under it. that I put on a straight and level piece of MDF. This way I could rotate the fuse and it staid straight and true. I measured the distance from the floor to the first circular panel line on the fuse and marked that on the vertical two by two. From there I measured and marked the two by two at every next line. I knew the distance between the panel lines of course!
The laser gizmo I put on a sort of sliding block that I could fasten with a clamp. This worked like a dream!  What had taken me days so far without a good result was now done within an hour!
 
The whole set-up
The sliding block with the laser
 
The scale on the 2 x 2
 
I marked many points and later connected them
 
THE STABILIZER ROOTS
 
The horizontal and vertical stabilizers that came with the fuselage were the wrong shape and size so I chucked them away. The roots were about 10% to long so i had to change those.
 
 
After drawing the correct size on the fuse, I cut away the excess root with a dremel tool.
 
This hole had to be filled. I epoxied a mat on the inside of the fuselage.
 
The rest was filled out with epoxy filler and sanded to get the right shape.
 
Please Email me at:
dc3@propellor.tv